1750 ARCH CONCERTS, BERKELEY 7-7-77@7:77 SEVEN SEVENS:
THE ELECTRIC WEASEL ENSEMBLE AND A MULTITUDE OF GUESTS IN: THE 7TH ANNUAL FESTIVAL OF WEASELS
(1) MISRAM ALLARIPU -Kamala Cesar. A Classical South-Indian dance (bharata natyam) in sevens. This dance is the traditional Invocation to the opening of a recital.
(2) 777 (time in seconds). Tom Buckner, vocals Charles MacDermed, piano
(3) SATURN AND THE SEVEN LADIES by Allen Strange. THE ELECTRIC WEASEL ENSEMBLE. Don Buchla, Allen Strange, David Morse, Steve Ruppenthal
(4) YOU CAN'T SEE THE FOREST...MUSIC. By Daniel Lentz. for 3 wine drinking speakers and seven cascading echoes performed by Garry Eister Stan Carey and the most reverent Daniel Lentz. (duration exactly seven minutes)
INTERMISSION (7up on the patio)
(5)TOTEMIC ILLUSIONS: SEVENTH TRACE - by Steve Ruppenthal for female voice and live electronics. Performed by The Electric Weasel Ensemble with Guest Artist Michele Cesar.
(6) DUTIFUL DUCKS by Charles Amirkhanian for vocalist plus chorus. The seven performers are: Steve Ruppenthal - Allen Strange - David Morse - Don Buchla - David Rosenboom - Frank McCarty - Daniel Lentz.
dutiful ducks, dududutiful ducks, suitable, beautiful ducks, the draino ducks collide: and curtsy.
(7) 7-7-77 with Maple Sugar West. J. Jasmine aka Jacqueline Humbert, Dave Charles aka David Rosenboom, Rosy Dawn aka Michael Byron.
with special thanks to video artist Sharon Grace assisted by Don Day and to Bob Shumaker, mixing production coordination by Julius Cesar. program design by Eve Venness.
SATURN AND THE SEVEN LADIES:
An interactive loop of conventional performance elements but with specifications only for patches or instrument definitions. An initial patch on each illuminated "score" serves as a reference for seven "variations", each notated only in terms of alterations of the initial patch, and each variation is associated with the seven illuminated "satellites" on the score (see inside of 7).
The sequence of variations to be played is selected by the instrument and communicated to the player by the position of the illuminated satellite: thus completing the score-\ player-\instrument-\score "loop" alteration between the initial patch and its seven variations creates a "variation-Rondo"form of instrument specifications for group playing. by Allen Strange.
TOTEMIC ILLUSIONS: SEVENTH TRACE utilizes a spoken text from various linguistic images of N. American Indians. The illusions draw upon relationships between the electronic and vocal sounds to form a connection between the concrete (earthly) and the abstract (totemistic) worlds.
The seven illusions are: Gretry(?JH) Remembered, Results of natural conditions...a system of spirits, thunderers, guardians, and illusions form within.
The opening passage is an expression of the nature of unity between Ancestral Spirits taboos, the children of 'god' and their active totality. by Steve Ruppenthal for female voice and live electronics.
typed by Barb. Golden April 95